In 1956, the American personnel of the US Air Force Base at Fort Pepperrell in St. John’s decided to form a chapter of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Inc. (now referred to as the Barbershop Harmony Society, or BHS) in St. John’s and invite local men to join.
The first chapter was sponsored by The Granite Statesmen of Nashua, New Hampshire and was known as the Cabot Chapter, chartered on May 20, 1957. We have a recording of that Charter night meeting, passed to our webmaster during a visit in December 2010. Pepperrell Air Force Base closed in 1959 and all of the U.S. personnel left the city. Unfortunately, the chapter failed due mainly to a lack of leadership in the Barbershop style. However in the fall of 1973, the group began to grow again. The present chapter was chartered on October 31, 1975. The name Anchormen was chosen because it reflected our nautical heritage and our association with the sea.
Our crest was designed by one of our founding fathers, Alex Andrews. The crest shows that we are part of the Sunrise Division (Atlantic Provinces) in the Northeastern District, or NED (Northern New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces).
A cached version of our old website is available here. Please keep in mind that the information on the old website is NOT up to date and is for archival purposes only.