The Anchormen Barbershop Chorus’ bursary program serves to encourage the continuation of barbershop harmony in our community. The program is also one of few inter-generational music programs in St. John’s, bringing people from all generations together in camaraderie and song.
In 2016 The Anchormen Chorus was bequeathed with funds from two members, John Moores and Gordon Kelly. Their contributions allowed the bursary program to get off the ground. A joint fundraiser with Gower Street United Church for both organizations’ bursaries and a generous grant from the Bruneau Centre for Excellence in Choral Music helped to further solidify this program in 2017.
If you are interested in supporting this important program, please Contact Us.
- $400 per semester
- Annual Barbershop Harmony Society fees PAID FOR
- Free uniform
- Transportation available to rehearsals and sing-outs
- Instruction/coaching from our director, Dr. Doug Dunsmore
- Must be a student at the MUN School of Music
- Attend regular Monday night rehearsals and occasional sing-outs (singing in public)
- Serve as section leaders (Tenor, Lead, Baritone, and Bass), running sectionals and acting as “anchors” for their section
- Perform in a “University Quartet” setting at sing-outs and concerts
CONTACT US for more information or to apply for one of these excellent opportunities!
Past Bursary Recipients
- 2018-19: Liam Clancy (Tenor), Dylan McIsaac (Lead), Colin Mackey (Baritone), and Duncan Stenhouse (Bass)
- 2017-18: Brandon Mollon (Tenor), Liam Clancy (Lead), Aidan Saccary (Baritone), and Duncan Stenhouse (Bass)
- 2016-17: Brandon Mollon (Tenor), Aidan Saccary (Lead), Kyle Galloway (Baritone), and Josh McCarthy (Bass)