Do I need to be able to read music to sing with you?
- No, any level of sheet music experience is welcome
- We also send out “learning tracks” for many of our songs, meaning you can learn your part by listening to it at home
What is the time commitment?
- Rehearsals are every Monday at 7:00-9:30PM (we break for Christmas each year)
- We strive to perform in the community at least once per month, often on Monday nights
What do you do in the community?
- We perform mostly around the City of St. John’s in retirement homes, our annual Spring Spectacular, the St. John’s International Airport, MUN Music graduation recitals, and many more venues/events
- As a charitable organization, we regularly donate to causes in the community such as The Gathering Place, the Newfoundland Food Sharing Association, and many more
- Our chorus also offers bursaries to students at the MUN School of Music who sing in our chorus
Do I have to audition?
- While we have no formal audition process, our director will give you a low-pressure assessment to ensure you can “hold a tune”
What is the cost?
- If you decide to join our organization, there are yearly dues payable online to the Barbershop Harmony Society
- See the Barbershop Harmony Society membership page for membership options and pricing
- We offer bursaries for students at the MUN School of Music, see our Bursaries page for more information
Wait, did you say BURSARIES???
- You bet! See our Bursaries page for more information (MUN Music students only)
How old do I have to be to sing with you?
- We invite singers aged 12+ to come and sing with us
I’m a woman interested in barbershop singing, is there a place where I can explore this music in St. John’s?
- Absolutely, check out our sister chorus, Newfound Sound, for more information
I’m coming from another chorus outside of Newfoundland. Can I continue my BHS Membership with the Anchormen?
- Yes! Please Contact Us and we can help you figure out your transfer or dual-membership with the BHS