An Evening With The Anchormen (NEW DATE: 7:30pm on Saturday, May 6th, 2023)
Have you ever wondered what Barbershop singing is? Hint: it’s not singing at the barber! Barbershop singing is a style of a cappella (unaccompanied singing) using an interesting blend of four-part harmony. The Anchormen have been singing barbershop in St. John’s since their formation in 1956 by American personnel stationed at Fort Pepperrell.
Please join us for “An Evening with The Anchormen” at D.F. Cook Hall, MUN School of Music, 7:30pm on May 6th, 2023. This public “rehearsal” will give an immersive experience into the world of barbershop harmony through songs like Lean on Me, Take me out to the Ball Game, and tunes from legendary artists like Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen. Several quartets will sing songs that are sure to bring back memories. Special guests Close Quarters, a brilliant local women’s barbershop quartet, are sure to delight.
And if you like our practice, we are always looking for new members!
Bring along some cash for a chance to win a limited edition, custom-framed Randy Dawe photographic print of an NL scene (approximately 36” X 30”, valued at $300).
You can also check out our Facebook page for the latest updates on everything Anchormen.
Thursday, October 3rd, 2019: Annual Jiggs Dinner Fundraiser
- Thank you to everyone who supported us with their meal and ticket purchases! We had a grand old time singing for you and hope you’ll be back next year.
August 7th, 2019: The Royal St. John’s Regatta
- Thank you to all who came out to support our booth at the Regatta this year! We’re pleased to say that we sold out quicker than any other year. The money will go a long way for us, and the community we support, as we continue to develop & expand our chorus.
May 10-12: Halifax Spring Convention and Contest 2019
- The Anchormen Chorus was delighted to take part in this year’s Barbershopping Contest in Halifax, NS. This convention gave us an exciting opportunity to connect with others of our craft. It also helped focus the chorus as we prepared our contest pieces to the best of our ability.
- A big thank-you to The Halifax Harmonizers for hosting this year’s event
2019 Spring Spectacular
- When: 7:30PM, Saturday, April 27th, 2019
- Where: D.F. Cook Hall, MUN School of Music (click here for directions)
- What: The 2019 Spring Spectacular is a show you don’t want to miss! We have something for everyone, from traditional Newfoundland music to Barbershop songs new and old. Guest stars include Maxine Dunne and the Dunne Family, The Decibelles, Julia Halfyard, and quartets from within the Anchormen Chorus. This is a family friendly event.
- Tickets: $20, available from chorus members, at the door, by phone +1 (709) 685-5340, or online at Eventbrite.ca.